Tuesday, April 16, 2019

What I never pay full price for and a few other money saving tips.



I read lots and lots of blogs. I also dislike lots and lots of blogs. I get all bent out of shape when people say "anyone can do this' and then proceed to say the way we save so much on meat is they raise their own cattle. I think thats great but not all of us have a cattle farm or want one. I hope my ideae are not as far fetched as the cattle peoples.

1.Make a list of things that you will refuse to pay full price for and stick to that rule.  Here are a few of     mine.

   Toilet paper, I like name brand and I stock up when its on sale. I will buy several months worth.

   Potato chips or any kind of chips, I set my limit at nothing over $2 a bag. 

   Cereal and once again I do not pay over $2 a box. I have had as many as 20 boxes of cereal at home.

    Meat, I wish I could get buy with not paying over $2 a pound for most meat but that doesnt happen        that often. Chicken and pork can be found at that price or lower but most beef I stick with around          $3.50lb. If you pay attention most stores do a 4-6 week rotation on meats and most anything in the        store and you just buy enough to get you through until the next time its on sale. Fish is something          that hards to find below $6 a pound and we do love our fish around here. I try to get a good deal but      if we are craving it thats one thing we will pay full price for.

    Coffee, its not fair that I can not drink this stuff but I am always buying it and making it for a certain      man in my life. We do like to buy coffee from local roasteries and he drinks a cup or two on the              weekends but mostly we grab whats on sale. I have actually been pretty lucky for the past few                months to grab it for $3-4 a large can like in the picture. Kroger had it as a Friday/Saturday only deal      this past weekend so when we were out running errands I made sure we stopped by and grabbed the       limit of 5. Lets cross our fingers it goes on sale again in the next 5 months.

I have a few other things on my list but I will save it for later. Long winded blogs get on my nerves too!

So in the picture above you see lots of things. Its Tuesday and the sales at Kroger and Aldis end today and there were a few things I needed to get. We only use butter and it was $1.99 I think with the 6 I bought today and the few I have in the fridge I will be good for 2 months unless I go on a cooking making spree and I very well may. I saved $8 this week on butter

I found these double bottles of ranch dress for 99 cents! I grabbed 5 of those babies. Its the college kiddos that really love the ranch and I do use it on wraps that I make them for lunch. I saved $10 on ranch dressing.

They had Panera and generic Panera soups for sale. I know I can make soups cheaper but lets be honest sometimes its worth paying a little more for convenience. Isnt that why we love our drive thru fast food?

All the pasta sides and instant potatoes. These will last us forever and they were 79 cents for the pasta and 99 cents for the potatoes. We are getting lazy in our old age and sometimes we will have something like this for lunch or even dinner. Over the weekend I took some pasta, added cooked chicken I had in the freezer and a cup of frozen peas and it fed three of us for less than $3 and took 15 minutes to make.

A very important thing when you start stocking up on things is to have room to store it and keep up with what you have. I have a very small kitchen with very limited cabinet space. Mr Ladybug and I have started to become minimalists when it comes to clothing and I think he and I can get all our clothes in one small closet and use his closet with was in our hallway as a pantry. So on todays agenda is to clean off the top shelf of the closet to store most of this stuff and get the clothes he doesnt wear anymore to Goodwill. I have used our coffee table which is an old trunk to store kleenex and paper towels. I talked to a mom in the grocery line who only got paid once a month so she shopped once a month. She kid cereal and cookies under her bed in totes so they would last all month with her kiddos. I thought that was pretty smart!

I hope you found this helpful and not terribly long winded.

No comments:

Post a Comment