Friday, March 8, 2019

Impatience, Lent Day 3



Today we are going to get rid of impatience. I actually thought that I was a pretty patient person. That was until I woke up to snow this morning! What the heck?

Its still snowing, someone shoot me please!



I am suppose to have peas and onions in the ground. Guess what happens when the snow quits. Melted snow and rain is just going to make the ground all yucky and on Sunday when its not suppose to rain or snow the ground will probably be too wet to work with.  I think its actually pretty funny that I get so bent out of shape over this because its not like if I dont have a pea or an onion crop we are going to starve to death. Some peoples lives do depend on what they grow and I should consider myself blessed that even though growing all my food would be so exciting my life goes on regardless.

There was a high school baskeball tournament going on downtown yesterday and it put me 5 minutes behind schedule picking up Mr Ladybug so we decided to try a different route on the way home. Since we have both grown up and lived in our area most of our lives we had multiple options and weighed each one as we drove. Every turn just lead us to another backup. We really didnt mind except for the rude people honking their horns, people getting out of the lane and flying past trying to cut in closer to a a light and fun stuff like that. Then there were people trying to make u-turns and stopping traffic because those big SUVs and minivans do not turn on a dime. I think our commute time on the way home was 10 extra minutes or 15 at the most. Honestly the extra 20 minutes did not bother me at all. I do have to admit I was wondering why people were being so impatient. It was super easy for me to keep score and a little convicting when I gave it a little more thought...

Why the extra commute wasnt so bad for me                          Why it may have been for others
1. My dinner was already in the oven on warm                      1. Some people were just getting off work.
    because I had been home most of the afternoon. 

2. My adult kids drive.                                                            2. Some people were trying to get to their
                                                                                                    kids still at school or in childcare.

3. I had just filled up my gas tank.                                          3. Some people were driving on fumes
                                                                                                   with payday not until tomorrow.

4. When I got home my plans were to eat dinner,                   4. Some working parents still had after
    watch tv with my man and look at my library books.              school activities, feeding their crew,
                                                                                                     making sure homework was done,
                                                                                                     baths were taken and would be happy
                                                                                                     if they got 5 minutes of peace before
                                                                                                     had to start all over again tomorrow.


I could seriously have kept going but you get the picture. I read a quote and it was something like this, you dont plant a seed and expect to see a full grown plant producing the very next day. That is sort of a definition of what patience is. You are at point A and you are going to point B. Its not always going to be instant. I knew I would eventually get home yesterday. If my car had quit working I could have walked home within an hour. Of course I could have called a number of people to come get me too. Not everyone you meet have the same options as you do. Even if you think they do. You have no idea whats going on with them or what they have been through just to get where they are right now. You may think you know them but you do not so stop being a jerk and just be nice. Please!!!


1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (NIV)


1 Corinthians 3-7 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end. (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment